Failed to connect to server

Moderator: GiD Team

cangelos

Failed to connect to server

Post by cangelos »

Hello,
I just downloaded GID 13 and I would like to download Kratos through GID. Unfortunately, the connection to the server failed.
I found a similar topic on this forum: http://www.gidhome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614 providing this solution:

"You can fix the problem for example with some of this ways:
- a) avoiding this 'check for upgrades' connection. To do it edit the file
scripts\ConfigureProgram.tcl and change
set ::GidPriv(ShowCheckNewVersion) 1
by
set ::GidPriv(ShowCheckNewVersion) 0

or you can also allow the connection changing your firewall configuration"

But the line set ::GidPriv(ShowCheckNewVersion) 0 isn't in the file scripts\ConfigureProgram anymore.
I tried the second solution allowing every inbound and outbound rules for gid.exe but still doesn't work.
Do you have a new solution? I am wondering which service or program GID is using when it tries to connect to the server (which might still be blocked by firewall).
Thank you for any assistance,
Regards
escolano

Re: Failed to connect to server

Post by escolano »

The option to disable checking if there is a new GiD version now is in the GUI
Utilities->Preferences...
General - Interface - Check for updates

GiD (and problemtypes of Data->Problemtypes->Internet retrieve... like Kratos) are in a standard ftp server,
but unfortunatelly seems that from some places it is not possible to connect with the ftp server (although we are using ftp passive mode to facilitate connections)

You can download problemtypes like kratos from this ftp place: ftp://www.gidhome.com/pub/gidmodules
once downloaded simply uncompress the file inside the \problemtypes GiD folder and it will appear in GiD data->Problemtypes menu.
cangelos

Post by cangelos »

Hi, thank you for the solution! I managed to download the kratos problemtype on another computer on another server and it worked so then I used the same tip as you mentioned, I copy the kratos.gid folder on the other computer. I didn't know there was a repository to download directly this folder so thank you for the information! :)
Olivia73

Post by Olivia73 »

escolano wrote:The option to disable checking if there is a new GiD version now is in the GUI
Utilities->Preferences...
General - Interface - Check for updates

GiD (and problemtypes of Data->Problemtypes->Internet retrieve... like Kratos) are in a standard ftp server,
but unfortunatelly seems that from some places it is not possible to connect with the ftp server (although we are using ftp passive mode to facilitate connections)

You can download problemtypes like kratos from this ftp place: ftp://www.gidhome.com/pub/gidmodules
once downloaded simply uncompress the file inside the \problemtypes GiD folder and it will appear in GiD data->Problemtypes menu.

I have exactly the same issue. Unfortunately I can't download anything from that ftp catalogue. Nothing happens when I click on the items. Is there anything going on with the ftp?
escolano

Post by escolano »

Try to do it with a different 'Internet browser',
or try it using a specialized ftp client program, like FileZilla https://filezilla-project.org/
(or try from another location or machine)