[GiDlist] Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'e

Moderator: GiD Team

Bronsert, Jeffrey

Post by Bronsert, Jeffrey »

Dear GID users,

I'm using GID 9.06 on a 64bit Windows platform with 8Gb RAM. My problem is that GID gives an error message, while reading the result file (2Gb). Has GID a limit for the size of a result file? Is there a way to read the whole file or do I need to divide it to make the file smaller.

Best regards
Jeff
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130221/8d1689a8/attachment.htm
escolano

Post by escolano »

Are you sure that the results file is not truncated? (maybe the solver has not finished this file)

Are you using a x64 version of GiD? (because you can also use a x32 verision in your x64 platfrom)
If you are using a x32 version then a process has a limit of 2GB (it's not a GiD limit, it's a system limit)

Whith GiD 11 (and latest 10 developer versions) exists a new option in Utilities-Preferences-Postproces, named "Use result cache",
activating this option you specify the maximum amount of memory that GiD could use for the results, and it automatically handle load/unload from memory unused results to allow read very big files (e.g. 100GB)

----- Original Message -----
To: gidlist at listas.cimne.upc.edu
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:54 AM
Subject: [GiDlist] Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'end values', in line 12568610

Dear GID users,

I'm using GID 9.06 on a 64bit Windows platform with 8Gb RAM. My problem is that GID gives an error message, while reading the result file (2Gb). Has GID a limit for the size of a result file? Is there a way to read the whole file or do I need to divide it to make the file smaller.

Best regards

Jeff

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130221/a8aaf783/attachment.htm
Bronsert, Jeffrey

Dear Enrique,

thank you for your answer. I looked at the file and it is not truncated. I also read the resultfile on another machine with only 4 Gb RAM and it appeared the same error "Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'end values', in line 12568610". Both machines use a GID 9.06 64 bit version.
On the line 12568610 is "end values" written.
I also tried to read another big resultfile (2.5 Gb) and it appeared the same error on a different line number "Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'end values', in line 77294015". In this line of the resultfile there is also an "end values" written.
Smaller resultfiles are read by GID. All resultfiles are written by the same subroutine.
Can GID read only a specific amount of results?

Best regards
Jeff

Von: gidlist-bounces at listas.cimne.upc.edu [mailto:gidlist-bounces at listas.cimne.upc.edu] Im Auftrag von Enrique Escolano
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013 12:48
An: gidlist at listas.cimne.upc.edu
Betreff: Re: [GiDlist] Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'end values', in line 12568610

Are you sure that the results file is not truncated? (maybe the solver has not finished this file)

Are you using a x64 version of GiD? (because you can also use a x32 verision in your x64 platfrom)
If you are using a x32 version then a process has a limit of 2GB (it's not a GiD limit, it's a system limit)

Whith GiD 11 (and latest 10 developer versions) exists a new option in Utilities-Preferences-Postproces, named "Use result cache",
activating this option you specify the maximum amount of memory that GiD could use for the results, and it automatically handle load/unload from memory unused results to allow read very big files (e.g. 100GB)

To: gidlist at listas.cimne.upc.edumailto:gidlist at listas.cimne.upc.edu
Subject: [GiDlist] Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'end values', in line 12568610

Dear GID users,

Best regards
Jeff
http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/gidlist
URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130221/1ec81492/attachment-0001.htm
escolano

Post by escolano »

In theory there is not any limit on GiD, but the version 9 was released several years ago
Try with a modern 11.x version (can try it with a free one month password) . In this version can also activate the related 'results cache'

Or at least, try the last 9.3.1d win x64 developer (last 9 version) that can use the same password that your current 9.0.6 version.

Enrique

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: [GiDlist] Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'end values',in line 12568610

Dear Enrique,

thank you for your answer. I looked at the file and it is not truncated. I also read the resultfile on another machine with only 4 Gb RAM and it appeared the same error "Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'end values', in line 12568610". Both machines use a GID 9.06 64 bit version.

I also tried to read another big resultfile (2.5 Gb) and it appeared the same error on a different line number "Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'end values', in line 77294015". In this line of the resultfile there is also an "end values" written.

Smaller resultfiles are read by GID. All resultfiles are written by the same subroutine.

Best regards

Jeff

Von: gidlist-bounces at listas.cimne.upc.edu [mailto:gidlist-bounces at listas.cimne.upc.edu] Im Auftrag von Enrique Escolano
Betreff: Re: [GiDlist] Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'end values', in line 12568610

Dear GID users,

Best regards

Jeff

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130221/4fd4f496/attachment.htm
Bronsert, Jeffrey

Dear Enrique,

I tried the developer version (9.3.1d.win x64), but the same problem appeared. It seems to me that the 9 version can't deal with resultfiles greater than 2 Gb. Is there any possibility to solve this problem for the 9 version?

Best regards
Jeff

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013 19:00

In theory there is not any limit on GiD, but the version 9 was released several years ago
Try with a modern 11.x version (can try it with a free one month password) . In this version can also activate the related 'results cache'

Or at least, try the last 9.3.1d win x64 developer (last 9 version) that can use the same password that your current 9.0.6 version.

Enrique

Subject: Re: [GiDlist] Error reading resultfile: Couldn't find 'end values',in line 12568610

Dear Enrique,

Best regards
Jeff

Von: gidlist-bounces at listas.cimne.upc.edumailto:gidlist-bounces at listas.cimne.upc.edu [mailto:gidlist-bounces at listas.cimne.upc.edu] Im Auftrag von Enrique Escolano
An: gidlist at listas.cimne.upc.edumailto:gidlist at listas.cimne.upc.edu

Dear GID users,

Best regards
Jeff
URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130222/f10daa70/attachment-0001.htm
escolano

Post by escolano »

Try also with GiD 11 and a temporary free password (to verify at least that it's not a problem of the result file)
(try without ant with activating the "results cache")
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 11:57 AM

Dear Enrique,

I tried the developer version (9.3.1d.win x64), but the same problem appeared. It seems to me that the 9 version can't deal with resultfiles greater than 2 Gb. Is there any possibility to solve this problem for the 9 version?

Best regards

Jeff

Enrique

Dear Enrique,

Best regards

Jeff

Dear GID users,

Best regards

Jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130222/b0a04f02/attachment.htm
Bronsert, Jeffrey

Dear Enrique,

Gid 11 read the result files with and without the "result cache" option. For the "result cache" option I tried the 256 Mb, 512 Mb and 1024 Mb option. No problem occurred with these options.

Best regards
Jeff

Gesendet: Freitag, 22. Februar 2013 12:48

Try also with GiD 11 and a temporary free password (to verify at least that it's not a problem of the result file)

Dear Enrique,

Best regards
Jeff

Von: gidlist-bounces at listas.cimne.upc.edumailto:gidlist-bounces at listas.cimne.upc.edu [mailto:gidlist-bounces at listas.cimne.upc.edu] Im Auftrag von Enrique Escolano

Enrique

Dear Enrique,

Best regards
Jeff

Dear GID users,

Best regards
Jeff
URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130222/1bf8215c/attachment-0001.htm
escolano

Post by escolano »

I think that the problem was related to the version of the zlib compression library used in the version 9 of Windows, with files 2Gb

Maybe you could be able to read a file bigger of 2GB with GiD 9.x Windows x64 using ASCII results format (binary format use compression).
Off course in ASCII format the same file will be bigger, and slower to be read.

Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 5:19 PM

Dear Enrique,

Gid 11 read the result files with and without the "result cache" option. For the "result cache" option I tried the 256 Mb, 512 Mb and 1024 Mb option. No problem occurred with these options.

Best regards

Jeff

Dear Enrique,

Best regards

Jeff

Enrique

Dear Enrique,

Best regards

Jeff

Dear GID users,

Best regards

Jeff

------------------------------------------------------------------------

URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130222/493b9c63/attachment-0001.htm
Bronsert, Jeffrey

Dear Enrique,

the result file is already written in ASCII format. I use a subroutine to write the result file which always writes the results in ASCII format following the description in the reference manual.

Best regards
Jeff

Gesendet: Freitag, 22. Februar 2013 17:46

I think that the problem was related to the version of the zlib compression library used in the version 9 of Windows, with files 2Gb

Maybe you could be able to read a file bigger of 2GB with GiD 9.x Windows x64 using ASCII results format (binary format use compression).

Dear Enrique,

Best regards
Jeff

Dear Enrique,

Best regards
Jeff

Enrique

Dear Enrique,

Best regards
Jeff

Dear GID users,

Best regards
Jeff
URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130225/9b9de86e/attachment-0001.htm
escolano

Post by escolano »

Then seems that with the version 9 is not possible to postprocess this big results files.
The only way is to write smaller files (avoiding some write some result, or less time steps) or use a modern GiD version.
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 10:13 AM

Dear Enrique,

the result file is already written in ASCII format. I use a subroutine to write the result file which always writes the results in ASCII format following the description in the reference manual.

Best regards

Jeff

Gesendet: Freitag, 22. Februar 2013 17:46

Dear Enrique,

Best regards

Jeff

Dear Enrique,

Best regards

Jeff

Enrique

Dear Enrique,

Best regards

Jeff

Dear GID users,

Best regards

Jeff

----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130225/f1e8e353/attachment-0001.htm