Analysis has crashed

Moderator: GiD Team

vinodkumargolla

Analysis has crashed

Post by vinodkumargolla »

I have been trying to run one of the examples (https://github.com/.../gidop.../wiki/Ve ... Example-08) and tried for some other examples (https://github.com/rclab-auth/gidopensees/wiki/Examples), every time I'm seeing Analysis has crashed. Following steps have followed 1.Downloaded the example 8A, 8B, 8C from (https://github.com/.../gidop.../wiki/Ve ... Example-08).
2. Files>open>example 8B.
3. After this, running the analysis ( Warning: Creating the .tcl file & running the analysis will overwrite any user modifications and delete any existing results >>>> yes/no? ) if yes then
4. Analysis has crashed, Please check generated .logfile for more information.

What could be the reason for getting analysis has crashed, I have tried various examples but in the final, I'm not able to do postprocessing.

please do help me.

Thank you!
escolano

Re: Analysis has crashed

Post by escolano »

This is really a question related to the OpenSees problemtype, not GiD.

Probably depends on the mix of versions of all involved pieces:
1-GiD
2-OpenSees problemtype
3-example+problemtype used
4-OpenSees solver

The example Example_8A.gid was created using the problemtype 2.7.0 (and GiD 14.0.3)

A) If I use GiD 15.1.1d +problemtype 2.7.0 I am able to export the calculation file Example_8A_2_7_0.tcl attached

B) and I am able to calculate it with a OpenSees 3.2.1 Windows x64
(I did in a console because I don't have it located at C:\OpenSees\OpenSees.exe as the problemtype expects, off course this location can be changed in the problemtype, modifying the file OpenSees.path of the problemtype)

C) And I am able to convert the results from the menu
GiD+OpenSeee->Postprocess only
(this run an auxiliary program OpenSeesPost.exe, that is available only for Windows)
and the file .post.res is created to be postprocessed by GiD

Please, check if are you able to run it in an external console, with somethin like this (first change with cd to the folder of the tcl file)
"C:/<your_path>/OpenSees.exe" Example_8A_2_7_0.tcl

About the step B) I have tried to modify the file 'OpenSees.path' setting the location of my OpenSees.exe copy
C:\gid project more\problemtypes\opensees\opensees 3.2.1\bin\OpenSees.exe
but using the menu: GiD+OpenSeee->Run only
Windows raise an error like 'Invalid command name "model"...'
It seems that instead directly run OpenSees.exe is expected to run a bat file with start.exe of Windows.

I can avoid this problem modifying the file
OpenSees.gid\bas\tcl\Utilities.tcl
replacing in the proc Run_existing_tcl

exec {*}[auto_execok start] $OpenSeesPath $tcl_file
by
catch {exec $OpenSeesPath $tcl_file} msg

I think that the original version try to allow show the Windows console to see the messages. In my version it don't use a console, directly run the exe and its stdout messages are captured in the final variable named msg
vinodkumargolla

Re: Analysis has crashed

Post by vinodkumargolla »

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. It is running with opensees 3.2.1 version.
Before I used 3.3.0, that's the reason analysis is getting crashed.

Thank you once again!