When you select the Copy tool, the Transformations window appears. This window allows you to repeat the visualization using translation, rotation and mirror transformations, so that GiD can draw a whole model when only a part of it was analyzed.
The types of transformation are:
- Translation: This is defined by two points. Relative movements can be obtained by defining the first point as 0,0,0 and considering the second point as the translation vector (see Point definition).
- Rotation: It is necessary to enter two points in 3D or one point in 2D. In 3D, these two points define the rotation axis and its orientation. In 2D, the axis goes from the defined point towards z positive. Enter the angle of rotation in degrees. It can be positive or negative. In 3D, the direction is defined by the right hand rule. In 2D, it is counter-clockwise.
- Mirror: This is defined by three points that cannot be in a line. These points form a plane that is the mirror plane. In 2D, the mirror line is defined by two points.
- Scale: This is defined by a center and a point. Every coordinate of the point is the scale factor for every x,y,z axis. A scale factor greater than one increases the size, while a scale factor less than one decreases the size. It may also be negative, changing the sign of the corresponding coordinates.
The other available options are:
- Copies: By entering the number of repetitions, the operation selected is performed this number of times.
- View: The transformation is only for viewing purposes. Show/Hide, Undo and Clear options are enabled.
- Show transformation: Allows you to see or hide the model with the transformations active.
- Show original: allows the user to see or hide the original model over the transformed.
- Undo: Deletes the last transformation performed. It can be used repeadly to clear all transformations.
- Clear: Clears all the transformations in one go.
- Create: All the Post information (meshes & results) will be duplicated when performing the transformation.
- Crete volume/surfce: creates N-copies of the current meshes.
- Extrude surface: creates a volume using the selected transformation by extruding the surfaces.
The Apply button tells the program to perform the transformation that has been selected.