RamDebugger with GiD

Moderator: GiD Team

awa5114

RamDebugger with GiD

Post by awa5114 »

Hello,

I am trying to see if there is a way to construct tcl macros in GiD and 'Debug' them line by line. I noticed that Utilities>Tools>Macros>Edit opens up a debugger called RamDebugger with my macro as a TCL procedure. The problem is when I click on File>Debug on>Start Debug nothing happens.

I also see some C compiler options. I would much rather run my code in TCL but what is the C compiler for? I thought all the macro tools were based on TCL?
escolano

Re: RamDebugger with GiD

Post by escolano »

When you press <F5> or Debug->Continue/Go (or also File->Debug on->Start debug) then you will see that in the rambdebugger state bar appear the word 'debug', and you can for example set some breackpoint with the <F9> key (a red mark will appear in the line),
then if do you use for example this macro, pressing its button, you will see that the execution is stopped in your breackpoint, any you can see variable values, and continue line by line with <F11> (of the menu Debug->Step)

In GiD starting Ramdebugger (<F12> or Data->problemtype->Debugger, or in the macros editor) it run in the same GiD process,
but it could be used also as an external program http://www.compassis.com/ramdebugger, running in its own process.
Then it could be used to debug Tcl code (a Tcl local file, or connected remotely to a GiD), and also to edit/debug C++ code, compiled with gcc and using the gdb command line debugger, typical of Linux platforms.
In GiD I never used the C++ features of ramdebugger, I am only interested on its Tcl edition/debugging features.